3.19.2009

Helvetica Controversy

Helvetica. It looks so clean-cut and simple. But as this documentary shows, not all designers agree. Some say that the font we see everywhere on the street is perfect; it can look good anywhere. But other designers find it boring and overused. Personally, I am pro-Helvetica. I like the easy simplicity it has and the fact that it is so versatile. A truly good, skilled designer can make even a "boring" font look appealing and eye-catching.

Overall, I thought the "Helvetica" documentary was very interesting. I never would have guessed that there is so much going on behind every font. A creator, a history, fans, opponents, etc. It left me wanting to learn more about typography. Now I'm eager to experiment with different fonts and the emotions they can evoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment